Westvale Elementary, located in a growing area of West Jordan City, serves a diverse socioeconomic community. The school offers a strong academic program coupled with rich extracurricular experiences to help students gain a good foundation in basic skills as well as develop a sound social and emotional foundation.
- Westvale Elementary serves about 700 students in grades K-6.
- The school uses a Traditional year calendar.
- The school day begins at 8:25am and ends at 3:05pm except for Fridays when school is dismissed at 1:25pm to allow teachers time for planning meetings.
- The pupil/teacher ratio is 1 to 23 in first, second and third grade, and 1 to 26.5 in grades four, five and six. The actual class sizes vary.
- The building, which opened in 1967, is an attractive design featuring self-contained classrooms. Westvale has received extensive remodeling bringing it up to current state standards.
- The curriculum follows State and District guidelines, and meets all requirements for elementary students.
- All teachers have state certification, and many are working toward advanced university degrees and endorsements.
- Teachers in each grade level work as a team to meet the needs of all of the students in the grade.
- All staff members are formally evaluated on a regular basis to assure quality education in the classroom.
- Opportunities are growing for all students to train with computers.
- Special education services are provided for students with learning disabilities and speech, visual, hearing, language and behavioral handicaps.
- Bus service is provided for all students who live 1-1/2 miles or more from school. About 40 percent of our students qualify to ride.
- A nutritious hot lunch is prepared each day in the school cafeteria. The student price is $1.75 per lunch. Westvale Elementary also serves breakfast each morning. The student price is $.80 per breakfast. Free and reduced price breakfasts and lunches are available to qualifying students.
- An active PTA, School Community Group, and Parent Volunteer Program give parents many opportunities to be involved at school.
- Visitors are always welcome at Westvale. State law requires that all visitors first check in at the office before visiting classrooms.
- Our teachers create an exciting, motivating learning environment in the their classrooms.